RE: Embeded password in script

From: STEVE OLLIG <sollig_at_lifetouch.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:02:00 -0800

i'll take the first one...

on UNIX you could use a secret hidden file with appropriate permissions where each line has the format ORACLE_SID:USER:password

then use awk to parse the file for the line with the correct $ORACLE_SID and $USER, and set an environment variable to the password string. Then your scripts could use that variable with sqlplus instead of the hardcoded password.

in ksh it could look something like this: export password=\
`awk -F: '$1 == "sid" && $2 == "dbimpl" {print $3}' mySecretHiddenFile`

be warned that if you call sqlplus like this in your scripts: sqlplus dbimpl/${password} @SQLscript.sql someone could still see the Oracle password with a sneaky ps command while your script is running.

a very similar approach could be taken with perl if awk isn't your cup of tea.

Author: Nguyen, David M
  INET: david.m.nguyen_at_xo.com

Author: STEVE OLLIG
  INET: sollig_at_lifetouch.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Feb 24 2003 - 16:02:00 CST