RE: Using fully qualified table_name.database_object in

From: david davis <ddoralist_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 13:52:40 -0800

Our application vendor code doesn't pre-qualify table references and to isolate batch processes from running under the object owner. I use synonyms (public) so the code doesn't have to change but I get the security isolation that I want. <Wouldn't want a developer sliding a drop table into his code or perhaps a delete/update to the vendor's audit trail.>

I have 5800 synonyms in our OLTP environment and about 1300 in our reporting environment. I have not found it difficult to manage (well not very - the wrapped database links are a little more work) and our application is always changing (or so it seems).

What's the big deal with herding cats. The sleep for like 23 1/2 hrs a day.

David Davis
Manulife Financial

Author: david davis
  INET: ddoralist_at_hotmail.com