RE: corrupted block

From: Stephen Lee <Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:44:30 -0800

I think more recent versions of Oracle have options for skipping corrupt blocks with exports.

One possible way:
If you have a valid primary key index on the table, and the index is in a good tablespace, you might be able to cycle through all the primary keys, select the row corresponding to that primary key and insert it into a new table. I was able to do this about a month ago with a 8.1.7 database. In my case, I think it was a block header that was corrupt, not data; so I got all the data OK. It was rather slow, grabbing and inserting one row at a time; but I got all the data. As long as I didn't do anything that would cause a table scan of any kind, I could get the data.

By the way, rman not only failed to spot the corruption, but backed it up AND restored the corruption! My initial attempt was to just rename the datafile at the file system level, then recover it from the previous backup. I could relate another one of those TAR non-support -- total and complete NON-support! -- on this one.

Author: Stephen Lee
  INET: Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com