Re: File Table Overflow on Oracle DB Server

From: <babu.nagarajan_at_Cummins.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 05:04:08 -0800

Here is Kirti's reply to it (long time back in June). I think it was to you that time also...

Babu

Vivek,
You are right, this is an OS related issue, but a DBA must be aware of why it happens ;)

Error 23 means 'File Table Overflow' and it is generated when the system wide limit for the number of simultaneously open files is exceeded. It is controlled by a kernel parameter 'nfile'. which defaults to a value arrived at by a formula that uses 'maxusers' (and a couple of other) kernel parameters. You can check the values set for 'maxusers' and 'nfile' on these
servers, and get your SA to increase those on the server where you had a problem starting the database.

Use '/usr/sbin/kmtune -q ' command to check currently set value for 'nfile' and 'maxusers'.

Read more about 'nfile' at
http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/os/KCparam.Nfile.html.

HTH,

                      VIVEK_SHARMA
                      <VIVEK_SHARMA_at_inf        To:       Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      osys.com>                cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  File Table Overflow on Oracle DB Server
                      root_at_fatcity.com

                      02/24/03 06:28 AM
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

Author: VIVEK_SHARMA
  INET: VIVEK_SHARMA_at_infosys.com

This e-mail transmission and any attachments to it are intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
confidential and privileged information.  If you are not the intended
recipient, your use, forwarding, printing, storing, disseminating,
distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If you
by replying to this message and delete it from your computer.

  INET: babu.nagarajan_at_Cummins.com