Re: Teradata baned from IOUG???

From: Mogens Nørgaard <mln_at_miracleas.dk>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 22:08:40 -0800

Robert and Matthew,

Thanks for your responses. This is an attempt at adressing both points of views.

Personally, I didn't want my messages to imply that people working with and for IOUG are bad people that don't do anything good. If that's what came across from my messages, a heartfelt Undskyld is in place here.

I also appreciate the tough choises one has when organising conferences. In fact I do such things myself with our various things like the Database Forum and First Fridays here. When you take on that task you will sooner or later be faced with the following challenge: Big Shot A (BS-A) contacts you and submit a presentation and does not expect to be turned down, since he's wellknown, award-winning, or whatever. Yet it's perhaps not a good or a correct presentation. It happens sooner or later, and it can be tough to turn him down. Especially if there are not enough alternatives. Or if some of the attendees expect to go to the annual pep-talk with the big guy. When it's a big conference with many tracks, you're suddenly faced with the need to accept some presentations that might not have made it had there been enough really good ones (whatever that means).

And yes, it's easy to critisize other's presentations or points of views.

It is also easy to respond to critique by saying "why don't you submit a presentation yourself?" - an answer I've used myself time after time when someone asked why we didn't have a good presentation about this or that in the Danish user group. Nowadays I try not to use that response because there could be many valid reasons. The reason, for instance, that I don't submit stuff for the IOUG-A is that I cannot attend. Neither can most of you guys here on the list since you have been invited to my 42nd birthday party here in Maaloev :). Otherwise, I would have submitted either "You probably don't need RAC" or "Consolidations lead to new SPOFs" or "The stack increases with 1-1.5 new layers per year" or perhaps even something technical stuff. And I would not expect to be accepted just because I have an 8bit character in my last name or for some other reason.

Now, with respect to Rich and personal attacks I think I'd like to repeat the quote I made in one of my messages:

"Lately, there has been a big push to ignore your hit ratio with claims that it is meaningless. This shallow minded view (usually by people who sell a tuning tool) ignores why people look at hit ratios and what they are looking for. This quick tip talk will show you what to look for and why. You will definitely know when, where & why to look at your hit ratio in the future. Show you why your hit ratio matters. How to analyze the hit ratio. Fallacies by those who want to sell you products and tools instead. "

Now, English is not my first language, but I think it's kind of strong language to use in an official abstract for a session? "Shallow minded view", "Fallacies by those who want to sell you products...". Man, I could be wrong, but I smell "Cary and Anjo" here. Don't you? And I'm not sure Rich wrote to these guys personally before submitting his abstract, to adress one of your criticisms, Robert.

Now, most of us know by now that you should ignore the hit ratio. Big deal. But most of us (including me) don't sell tools or products, do we? What we do sell in Miracle is consulting hours, training, license reviews and support, and you can sell so many more consulting hours if you don't use the Wait Interface, but instead focus on various ratios :-))). So is Rich intending to 1) present new and sensational material? 2) go after Cary, Anjo, Mogens and the other idiots that "sell products"? or 3) to protect his consulting business and/or personal reputation?

I don't know. But imagine that I submitted a paper titled "Get Rich" to the IOUG-A - would that be accepted? Yet that's pretty much what Rich has done. So does this set a new precedent for papers being accepted? I doubt it. What would you guys call me if I did that? So yes, in that sense, it's a personal attack. Not on some Rich guy, but on whoever wrote that abstract.

There's another thing that has been bothering me for a while: Out of the 40 user presentations this year at Oracle World, 4 (perhaps more?) were from TUSC. We're talking litterally 100s of submissions, even from people that know much more and are far more skilled at presenting than some of the honored presenters there. Without wanting to start another war on words, those presentations were not neccessarily ground-breaking or revolutionary. So I'm not saying that TUSC people are not good (some of them are, some of them aren't, just like in any other company). I'm just saying that 4 out of 40 is a LOT. And that cannot be because of lack of material from around the globe. Please prove me wrong here.

And that's the kind of thing that causes me (and others, as witnessed on this list) to ask akward questions. In that process, I'm really sorry if I seemed to aim at hardworking volunteers and clever colleagues. That wasn't my intention.

Best regards,

Mogens

Author: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mogens_N=F8rgaard?=
  INET: mln_at_miracleas.dk