RE: Top 10 DBA Do's and Don'ts anyone - Here is my list,

From: Freeman Robert - IL <FREEMANR_at_tusc.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 16:23:43 -0800

Actually, I have quite a bit of text associated with each of my 10 do's and don'ts... in the text of each, I actually state what you are saying. That is, that there are actually very few hard and fast rules about anything. For example with ASSM I suggest that in 9i it's probably not usable, and if you think you might benefit from it, test it first. So, I never discount anything totally.

What I *believe* I've heard Cary say in the past was something to the effect that tuning LIO's will generally have a resultant impact on PIO's, and in the associated text that is the point I make. I am awaiting Cary's book with anticipation myself!!!

I actually don't believe in anything hard and fast when it comes to this world known as Oracle.

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Technical Management Consultant
TUSC - The Oracle Experts www.tusc.com
904.708.5076 Cell (It's everywhere that I am!) Author of several books you can find on Amazon.com!

#1 - Do Maintain your Expertise
#2 - Do Use the DBMS_STATS Package to Collect Statistics
#3 - Do Use Bind Variables
#4 - Do Put your Production Database in ARCHIVELOG Mode
#5 - Do Use Locally Managed Tablespaces
#6 - Do Monitor Your Database
#7 - Do Practice Recoveries
#8 - Do Get Involved with User Groups and Other Resources
#9 - Do Establish Standards and Change Control Processes
#10 - Do Think Ahead

Bonus! - Do tune to Reduce Logical IO's Not Physical IO's. (With regards to Cary!)

Oracle Database Top 10 Don'ts
#1 - Don't Waste Time Re-Organizing Your Databases
#2 - Don't Use .Log or Other Common Extensions For Your Database File Names
#3 - Don't Leave Your Database Open To Attack
#4 - Don't Decide Against Hot Backups
#5 - Don't Use ASSM
#6 - Don't Forget the 80/20 Rule
#7 - Don't Stack Views
#8 - Don't Be a Normalization Bigot
#9 - Don't Forget to Document Everything
#10 - Do Not Use Products You are Not Licensed For.

Bonus!! - Do Not Assume A Good or Bad Hit Ratio Means Anything

Ok, anyone wanna comment?

Author: Freeman Robert - IL
  INET: FREEMANR_at_tusc.com

Author: Darrell Landrum