RE: Oh Where Oh Where Is My Redo Coming From

From: Post, Ethan <Ethan.Post_at_ps.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 12:17:15 -0800

John that doesn't make sense to me. Deleting 10,000 rows from a table with 200 columns is certainly going to generate more redo than a table with 1 column (which I am sure you know, so there must be some confusion in my understanding). The avg_row_len is going to be much bigger in the table with 200 columns. I think grabbing redo info out of sesstat is a great way to do this but the drawback is that I have to sit here and poll v$sesstat every "N" minutes trying to capture the session and SQL generating the redo. Not very practical in all circumstances.

What I wanted is a quick way to sit down at any database and get a rough guess as to the objects which likely are involved in creating the most redo. This can help me get pointing in the direction of tuning HR jobs, Finance jobs, Inventory jobs etc...pretty easy to go query V$SQLAREA for table and "INSERT", "UPDATE" "DELETE" at that point.

The query I posted shows that the bulk of redo is coming from single table in the JDE Oweworld schema. It is a lot more than I am use to seeing in other systems I manage from the same table so I am pretty sure they have some poor code someplace. I can get the # of jobs and how long they run from the job queue tables, F986110. This will help me identify the top 5 jobs that hit the system. From there I will focus on the one or two jobs that hit the F0911 table.

This approach to tuning is more of a top down approach. I don't want to try focusing on a single SQL statement/session as a starting point, the batch jobs will be my starting point. This information combined with the top "N" jobs will put me right where I want to be to begin making the biggest impact with the least amount of effort.

Author: Post, Ethan
  INET: Ethan.Post_at_ps.net