Re: storing credit card numbers in a database

From: Jeff Herrick <jherrick_at_igs.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:59:46 -0800

Look into the DBMS_OBFUSCAITON package. I used it to encrypt passwords for a system management app and it works well. The only problem is that you need an encryption key for the programs to use. If anybody knows how to read the ALL_SOURCE view they will be able to find your key and decrypt the data. You can use the 'wrap' utility to try to hide it and then protect the un-wrapped source code up the ying-yang but if you use a text variable like I was crazy enough to to, the damn literal gets put into the wrapped source. You can use an expression of some sort but it's going to have to generate the key reliably each time and then what happens if it doesn't some day and all of your data becomes unreadable??? the literal starts looking better....but you have to hide it well and protect it from being compromised.

Not to toally turn you off of the package....but I was coming at it from the angle that I was trying to protect the information from somebody like me =8-)

HTH Jeff Herrick

Author: Jeff Herrick
  INET: jherrick_at_igs.net