Re: Oh Where Oh Where Is My Redo Coming From

From: Daniel W. Fink <optimaldba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:34:40 -0800

Ethan,

    v$sess_io will provide a list of the sessions generating block changes and, therefore, redo. Link this back to v$session, etc. for the 'offending' sessions, sql. I've used this several times with great success. Sometimes it was a data load, others it was bad sql.

    When you change a block (insert/update/delete), you also generate changes to indexes, undo segments (1 change for each row and 1 change for each index affected) and perhaps the data dictionary for space management.

Dan Fink

Author: Daniel W. Fink
  INET: optimaldba_at_yahoo.com