RE: Order of Redo log use

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:47:42 -0800

Michael

   The reason to use multiple members in each group is so each member can be on a different device (that is device, not just a separate mount point on the same device). Then if a terrorist sprays your computer room with automatic gunfire (or a drive crashes), maybe one of the devices will be spared. Remember that Oracle can easily rebuild data files. Redo logs and control files are the precious commodity. While you are at it, make sure you have two control files on separate devices. I am paranoid so I always configure three control files.

   So you need to relocate the second member of each redo log group so both aren't on the same device. Make sure they are all the same size. Evaluate whether you need to make them larger while you are at it. How often does log file switch occur during peak load?

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Hand, Michael T
  INET: HANDM_at_polaroid.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Feb 20 2003 - 13:47:42 CST