direct path read waits

From: <babu.nagarajan_at_Cummins.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:41:09 -0800

All

We are doing some performance testing while moving from one server to another. I was trying to time some index rebuilds and noticed something that I cant explain.

I am rebuilding an index on a 1 million row table. Lets say its on tablespace A and when I rebuild it to tablespace B it does in 33 seconds. I put it back on A and then rebuild it on tablespace C it takes 1 min 40 seconds. The only change here is the target tablespace.

When I set 10046 level 12 and counted time waited (ela column)

>From A - B (33 seconds)

     sum of elapsed in "DIRECT PATH READ" = 394 ( i think this is cs)

>From A - C (1 min 40 sec)

     sum of elapsed in "DIRECT PATH READ" = 6251

The P1 of all of these waits point to the same file (#4 part of TEMP tablespace)

Why should the change in the target tablespace affect the time taken to read from the TEMP tablespace?

TIA Babu

This e-mail transmission and any attachments to it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, your use, forwarding, printing, storing, disseminating, distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and delete it from your computer.
  INET: babu.nagarajan_at_Cummins.com