RE: Automatic Segment Space Management

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 07:18:55 -0800

My guess would be it's the pinning issue. A pinned block will *never* be expelled, and the Oracle kernel is very unlikely to "come back later" to do an operation that's not possible to accomplish right now.

However, having said that, it's likely something else too. I say this because I haven't even attempted to study the issue since about 1995, and virtually every time I've ever seen Steve Adams or Jonathan Lewis or Stephan Haisley's (etc.) mouth move, I become more aware that what I *thought* I knew in about 1995 is not really knowledge, it's more "Knowledge Light."

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com

Upcoming events:
- RMOUG Training Days 2003, Mar 5-6 Denver - Hotsos Clinic 101, Mar 25-27 London

Author: K Gopalakrishnan
  INET: kaygopal_at_yahoo.com

Author: Cary Millsap
  INET: cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com