Re: Automatic Segment Space Management

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 05:04:02 -0800

In an attempt to get a handle on the overhead of the LHWM / HHWM thing, it's worth noting that you seem to get bitmap blocks per extent, and that the bitmap block caters for formatting 16 blocks at a time within that extent.

The Low HWM is the point up to which all the blocks are formatted - and above which there may be unformatted blocks; the High HWM is the highest point in the last extent below which blocks are formatted.

This means that once a 'normal' tablescan reaches the Low HWM, Oracle has to start checking the (level 1) bitmap blocks to guide it to the 16-block chunks (which can be read with multiblock reads) which are formatted above the LHWM.

In theory, there won't be very many such chunks, so the overhead caused by the non-contiguity shouldn't be terribly significant.

Of course, you are scanning more blocks than you need, and this looks particularly bad if you compare it to the vanilla scenario where you have a maximum of about 5 blocks formatted but unused on the master free list. But if you compare ASSM with the effects of having multiple freelists or freelist groups (which is the main problem that ASSM seeks to address), where each free list has had N blocks allocated, the difference is less dramatic - especially if you consider the case of old OPS - where you could allocate an extent to an instance - and find that an entire extent had to be formatted because there was only one high-water mark.

A couple of open questions I have still:

    What's the largest number of extents with     unformatted blocks in the middle that I can     generate without cheating ? (My bust_bits     script is a sort of cheat).

    When does the low high water mark get     adjusted - I've got some results in multiextent      segments where the 'correct' place
    for the LHWM is right up at the HHWM,     but the actual stored LHWM is still right     at the start of the segment.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Coming soon one-day tutorials: