RE: Teradata banned from IOUG???

From: Kaing, Leng <Leng.Kaing_at_team.telstra.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:56:46 -0800

Dan and Stephen,

Glad to see a balance in the debate.

I haven't been involved with the board as such but from the paper scoring side of things it all looks very fair to me. Each year we get hundreds of papers to evaluate based on very strict criterias. We have not had directives from TUSC or any other organization to influence our decisions. Further, there are usually a few people involved in scoring the same set of papers so that we can get a concensus on the rankings and not just one person's opinions.

Cheers,

Leng.

Leng Kaing
Email: leng.kaing_at_team.telstra.com
Phone: +61-417-371-348

 From: "Karniotis, Stephen" <Stephen_Karniotis_at_compuware.com>  Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:34:10 -0500
 Subject: RE: Teradata banned from IOUG???

My turn to chime in.
First, thank you Mr. Fink for a great email. How true your statements are.

Second, let me state that TUSC has no involvement in the selection of any presentations for Live! As a senior member of the conference committee, there are over 30 (yes thirty) volunteers that read and review each and every abstract sent into the IOUG website. No one from TUSC is involved in this process.

So you will ask how TUSC has 31 presentations at IOUG Live! 2002? The answer is elementary. TUSC is a recognized leader in the ability of their employees to deliver quality presentations. Just because you are a technical person with lots of knowledge does not mean that you know how to convey it to an audience. Ever listened to Bill Gates or Andy Mendelson? Their presentations are horrible, but they are very knowledgeable. Now, we also didn't do our own audit last year when the presentations were selected.

This year the restrictions are in place. You will not see this type of occurrence again. In fact, the TUSC folks asked to not present at much.

SO, if you are going to complain, submit quality abstracts. Submit realistic abstracts and keep submitting.

Ari, please chime in if you want.

Thank You

Stephen P. Karniotis
Product Architect