Re: converting NT batch files to Unix shell

From: Darrell Landrum <DLANDRUM_at_zalecorp.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:11:12 -0800

This may not be what one wants to hear when given this task (at one time I wouldn't), in the absence of any super tools, being that Unix commands are so powerful and feature rich compared to NT, I would take each NT script, determine its purpose and write the Unix script from scratch with that goal in mind. You'll likely find you can do the same task better, easier, quicker, and very likely can enhance it if you wish. Windows NT Shell Scripting by Timothy Hill, Linda Engelman, published by Pearson is a good book to help a Unix programmer see what the NT script was doing. (I'm a 'reformed' MCSE, so I'm not speaking from the standpoint of a Unix bigot, I just know a better world when I see it.) I've written batch jobs to run in both environments, so if you take this approach and run into trouble, definitely post again and I'll help where I can.

Darrell

>>> kommacnu_at_yahoo.com 02/19/03 03:43PM >>>
Hi DBAs,

OS: Solaris 2.8
DB: 8i

Is there any tricks/techniques ( or documentation) to convert NT batch file to Unix shell script.

( seems to be the question silly.)

But I really need it for our new project.

This is to migrate the data (flatfiles) to oracle from AS400.

We have received some batch files written in NT (along with the data (flat) files, and if we can convert the batch files to unix shell script the process would become easy for migration.

Thanks in advance,
Srinivas

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Shopping - Send Flowers for Valentine's Day http://shopping.yahoo.com