RE: Question about buffer cache

From: Baylis, John <JBaylis_at_mail.canfor.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:50:23 -0800

I have indexes in a 16k page size tablespace. I have the following init.ora parameters:

db_block_size=4096
db_cache_size=600M
db_keep_cache_size=200M
db_16k_cache_size=200M

If I alter an index to put it in the keep pool, how does Oracle hande the discrepancy between the 4k default keep buffer and the 16k index block size?

Am I better off keeping the index in the 16k cache or in the db_keep_cache pool?

Since statspack shows:

Event                               Waits   Timeouts   Time (s)   (ms)
/txn
---------------------------- ------------ ---------- ---------- ------
--------
db file sequential read         2,725,553          0     40,710     15
355.2

I assume my indexes should be cached more to reduce the waits. Is that correct?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

John Baylis
Database Administrator