Re: Programming languages that make DBA's lives easier

From: Boyle Candi <candi.boyle_at_siemens.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:58:56 -0800

See, that depends on how big a shop you run. I have to pull duty as the sysadmin as well. If the installer does not work, a relink fails, etc, I can't call my unix guy and ask for it to be fixed. I have found many problems with the install programs as shipped by oracle, especially on Linux (all the way back to 8.0.5, iirc, up to and including 9iR2). Not all the problems can be fixed with knowledge of C, but if you know what the program is doing, or if you can slog your way through the makefile, you have a better chance of fixing it.

If you can't get oracle installed, then there isn't much need for a dba, now is there?

-Candi

Author: Boyle Candi
  INET: candi.boyle_at_siemens.com