Re: Optimizer help, get query to run as good as with RULE hint

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 02:13:40 -0800

I prefer the analogy of asking if Einstein theory of general relativity was correct before the technology was available to prove it correct ;)

Two serious points though:
I didn't say "untraceable" I said 'a lot harder to decide why'.

Secondly - if you start with the premise that hints are ignorable, this means you may give up much too soon when trying to use a hint and do something nasty like turning a SQL statement into a great long screed of procedural code. Not that I approve of hints, mind you - but sometimes hinting is the least-worst short-term solution.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Coming soon one-day tutorials: