Re: RMAN & BCV/Flashcopy Question?

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 15:08:54 -0800

Gene,

The "Oracle9i RMAN User's Guide" provides instructions on this on page 9-18.

I don't think that the steps mentioning ALTER SYSTEM SUSPEND/RESUME and ALTER TABLESPACE BEGIN/END BACKUP are necessary if IBM Flashcopy can support splits of non-quiesced volumes (ask your AIX SA). If it can, then only the steps involving CATALOG DATAFILECOPY and BACKUP/COPY DATAFILECOPY are relevant...

Hope this helps...

-Tim

  I plan on using a product from IBM called Flashcopy, similar to EMC's BCV (third mirror). Typically, I put the tablespaces in hot backup via scripting before splitting the third mirror. How can RMAN be used in a similar fashion? Can RMAN put the db in a hot backup state so the third mirror can be split and then backed up to tape?

  Thanks,
  Gene

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Sat Feb 15 2003 - 17:08:54 CST