Re: Teradata baned from IOUG???

From: Mogens Nørgaard <mln_at_MiracleAS.dk>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 01:03:36 -0800

Yeah, and I was at OAUG in Honolulu when Oracle pulled all support two weeks before the event. And I've seen Oracle Denmark trying to make sure a certain presentation about RAC didn't "go wrong" (just Oracle Denmark, mind you :) ), and all sorts of other things.

Bullying shouldn't pay, no matter what. And why on Earth not have products presented that might broaden people's minds? If the user group thinks it would be cool to have someone present SQL Server, why not? If the DBA's are interested, the user group has provided value for its members.

A few centuries ago, some Danish mercenaries employed by one of the kings in Europe became very unpopular with the opposing king (I think it was the French). So the French king put out a decree stating that these Danish guys should be hanged whenever they were captured. The mercenaries reacted by wearing a white string around their neck - so as to provide the necessary rope to hang them by. That's the reason for the white piece of rope going from the bearskin hats and around the neck worn by the Danish Royal Guards (where I spent some time many years ago :) ).

If you're afraid of the competition, and are too scared to face it, you have already lost the battle. And if you're a user group and you're scared of the vendor your user group is helping - what value are you then providing to your members in the long run? You might be helping yourself, though, by becoming a well-known name because you're on the board of IOUG or OUG/DK or whatever.

I co-founded the Danish user group back in '87, and I'm on the board again after leaving Oracle. We've seen Oracle react this way or that way, but in the end Oracle cannot live without the user groups - because they don't want to see it evolve into something different, and because users helping each other are good ambassadors for Oracle's products.

The user groups can easily live without Oracle, but Oracle cannot live without the user groups. Think about it.

And the rather funny attempt at replacing IOUG and OAUG and EOUG with the Oracle World official marketing stuff of course doesn't work in the long run. Nice try, though.

Mogens

Author: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mogens_N=F8rgaard?=
  INET: mln_at_MiracleAS.dk