RE: Database naming conventions

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:04:25 -0800

Now my left-brain is arguing with the right-brain. Some of our test/dev DBs are (or have been):

MULTI, ARENA, ORBIT, RALLY, and EMPIRE

(the word "playground" was too long...) And I've created at one point or another:

DUPLO, AMIGA, PLINK, CHEWY, HOPS, EDGE, ENCLAVE, and TICK.

No one's really able to figure out what they're used for by the name, but then again it doesn't take that long to familiarize yourself with Ford/Chevy/Mopar, Pepsi/Coke/RC, or Oracle/DB2/SQueaL_Server, either. It's no worse than trying to remember that "QTIERPP1" could be QTI's first production ERP DB, but giving servers and DBs theme names is a whole lot more fun.

Spooooon! :)

Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse_at_qtiworld.com           Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA