Re: Database naming conventions

From: Arup Nanda <orarup_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:49:17 -0800

This reminds me something that happened to me about seven years ago. We had a head honcho (read DBA manager) who just had a sweet slide from DB2 word to Oracle and as one of the first things he suggested was to rename all the tables to be prefixed by "USERTAB_" and all the views by "USERVIEW_", and you got the idea. Naturally he also wanted all the apps to be recoded to reflect the new tablenames (he had no idea what a synonym was or he just didn't care). What was the point behind "USERTAB_" prefix? It's user created tables, stupid, as opposed to system created ones!

"But you can't rename the system tables to prefix SYSTAB_.....", your truly suggested.

"Sure you can", came the reponse growled back.

Everyone in the room smiled sheepishly. Realizing that he may have made a blunder, Mr Name Prefixer roared at me:

"And you will make sure that it happens. that's your goal of this year - to change the app and change the table names."

Mercifully, he didn't stick around longer. Pressure from within forced him out to his familiar DB2 world. Perhaps he listened to his call from the wild, the sweet sweet world where he can prefix whatever names to tables he wants.

No, I didn't ask him what his cat's name was.

Arup

Author: Arup Nanda
  INET: orarup_at_hotmail.com