RE: Fwd: Histograms on VARCHAR2 columns ?

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:44:01 -0800

OK, I'm reading thru Wolfgang Breitling's "Fallacies of the Cost Based Optimizer" from the link below. Of course, I've got questions!

The data presented on pages 5 and 6 just don't jive. How many systems can do a query with twice as much physical I/O in less than half the elapsed time and CPU time of another query? From my experience, IO just doesn't work that way, unless the data was cached at the OS or IO subsystem, which would make the test invalid.

Comments???

Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse_at_qtiworld.com           Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Feb 14 2003 - 11:44:01 CST