Re: 2k and 8k block size

From: <Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:29:00 -0800

My question was specific to RAC: With a larger block size, is one not increasing the chances of pinging for the blocks? Or I dont need to worry about it with Cache fusion? A new worry for me now is that, though the block size was changed from 2K to 8K, the recommendation was to keep the SGA the same?

Anyways, I am still setting up the database, and I plan to create a few tables in tablespaces of varied block sizes, and test it myself. During stress testing, I expect to see a lot of waits.

A new question: All recommendations that I have read so far is to make the datablock block size equal to the file system block size? But what if my datafiles are raw disks?

Thanks
Raj

                    Charlie_Mengler_at_Hom
                    eDepot.com                 To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    Sent by:                   cc:
                    root_at_fatcity.com           Subject:     Re: 2k and  8k block size

                    February 14, 2003
                    11:09 AM
                    Please respond to
                    ORACLE-L

There was a presentation at the recent HOTSOS conference which showed a performance gain by placing indexes in tablespaces with a "LARGE" blocksize.

HTH & YMMV HAND!

                      Michael Fontana

                      <mfontana_at_verio.n        To:       Multiple
recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      et>                      cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: 2k and  8k
block size
                      root_at_fatcity.com

                      02/10/2003 01:59

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      ORACLE-L

Reading my oracle 9i new features , there is now something called: Multiple Database Block Size Support. In other words, it is no longer necessary
to commit to a single block size for your database. I'd suggest looking into this, as
it may now be possible to test using different blocksizes for different tablespaces.

At 01:04 PM 2/10/2003 -0800, Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com wrote:

      An 8.0.6 ops database being migrated to 9i RAC database on Solaris 8.
      The
      8.0 database had an block size of 2k.  Multiblock read count is 8.
      This is
      an OLTP database, all transactions almost always work on a single
      row. None
      of the row sizes exceed the block size. Hardly any chained or
      migrated
      rows. Now, during this migration, it was recommended to change the
      block
      size to 8k. And my concerns are:

      1. Would this not increase pinging across the instances? With 9i and
      interconnect and cache fusion, this should be reduced considerably,
      so, is
      it a mute point?
      2. This could alter the execution plans of some statements. Would
      some,
      maybe a very few of the statements not prefer a full table scan?

      Any other positive or negative effects of this increase in block
      size?

      Thanks
      One Paranoid DBA

  INET: Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Feb 14 2003 - 11:29:00 CST