RE: Listener Hanging 64 Bit Solaris 8 Oracle 9.2

From: David Wagoner <dwagoner_at_arsenaldigital.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 07:29:30 -0800

We had this problem recently- running 8.1.7 (64-bit) and 9.0.1.3 (32-bit) on Sun Solaris 2.8. Both databases were registered in the same version 9.0.1.3.0 Listener. Oracle Support eventually told me that Listener versions below 9iR2 do not support mixed bit versions (64- and 32-bit). You would have to run a separate listener for each bit version. I upgraded the 9.0.1.3.0 to 9.2.0.2.0 and registered both on the new 9iR2 Listener (this week) and haven't seen a listener crash...yet (fingers crossed).

See text below, copied from my TAR.

David B. Wagoner
Database Administrator
Arsenal Digital Solutions
Phone: 919-466-6723

Cell:     919-412-8462
Fax:     919-466-6783

E-Mail: dwagoner_at_arsenaldigital.com <mailto:dwagoner_at_arsenaldigital.com> Web: http://www.arsenaldigital.com <http://www.arsenaldigital.com/>

Ill tell you the methods that you can use to determine if this is in fact your issue and how to resolve it.

Some facts about the known issue.

1. Your running 32 and 64 bit software
2. The listener that is crashing is using port 1521.
3. Your listener shows a service handler twice for the instances.
4. Your not completely familiar with Automatic instance registration
functionality.

So you understand the instance registration process.

Author: David Wagoner
  INET: dwagoner_at_arsenaldigital.com