Re: Deep OPS tuning info

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 01:48:45 -0800

Just as a possible quick tip:

Have you disabled DML_LOCKs on the most
commonly accessed tables ? Is it possible to do so on at least some of them ?

Under OPS, some activity which is usually local latching activity turns into global lock acquisition. If you have excessive parsing, with dml_locks enabled, this would be one possible reason for excessive waits on the dlm resource hash lists. (This is one of the areas where RAC has introduced a change
of strategy that improves performance).

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Coming soon one-day tutorials:
Cost Based Optimisation
Trouble-shooting and Tuning
Indexing Strategies
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html )

____UK_______March 19th
____USA_(FL)_May 2nd

Next Seminar dates:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____USA_(CA, TX)_August

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Date: 13 February 2003 17:57

Hi all:
I'm tuning an OPS env. and the things are getting quite deep, DLM latch
issues and so on (e.g. lots of waits on "dlm resource hash list"). So I was
wondering if any of you know of any site or doc. which could help me on this
(OPS tuning specific and very deep information).
Of course the first steps in the process was to submit the statspack report
to oraperf and so on .... , but right now we are dealing with some issues
that surpass the obvious things. So if any you could provide any tip or site
to look for a tip IŽll be very glad.

thanks in advance

Rui Galamba Marreiros
Solution Consultant - HP Services, Consulting & Integration Quinta da Fonte , Edificio D. Sancho I,
2780 Porto Salvo, Portugal
Telf: +351 214828500
Fax: +351 21 4838431
rui.marreiros_at_hp.com <mailto:rui_marreiros_at_hp.com>
Author: MARREIROS,RUI (HP-Portugal,ex1)
  INET: rui.marreiros_at_hp.com