Re: RMAN: I don't trust it

From: Maria Aurora VT de la Vega <mtdelavega_at_pse.org.ph>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:08:55 -0800

I too have seen too many DBA wannabes...mainly because of the pay Once they're in to it...only then do they see how complicated the job really is...

Lyndon Tiu wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 February 2003 08:14 am, DENNIS WILLIAMS wrote:
> > Lyndon
> > A rule of thumb in job-seeking is when you don't have experience, your
> > education counts all the more.
>
> I agree. No Comp. Sci. education means - To quote Oracle 9i: "Unemployable,
> Can't break-in, Just can't get it".
>
> > This applies when you are just starting your
> > career or when you are changing careers. I haven't seen too many DBA job
> > postings that require a BSCS (always glad to be educated, though), but I
> > can see if there were two candidates who had no Oracle experience or other
> > IT experience, the one with a BSCS might be selected.
> > Have you considered getting the OCP?
>
> I have OCP, SCJP, LPI, SCSA, SCNA, EIEIO. I do believe that these
> certifications are worthless without job experience.
>
> Order of importance:
>
> 1) People you know (i.e. kiss ass)
> 2) Experience
> 3) Education
> 4) Certifications
>
> > One heck of a lot less effort than
> > a BSCS, and might carry more weight when being considered for a position. I
> > don't think the OCP is a cure-all, but I think it can demonstrate a sincere
> > interest in an Oracle career. Think of it as a way to separate yourself
> > from other wannabes.
>
> I work for a company where a third are wannabes, and they kiss ass better than
> me : \
>
> > My impression is that during the dot-com wave a lot of people crowded
> > into the IT field, and some of them jumped on Oracle. That might leave the
> > field crowded at the moment, but any field has turnover. Some people become
> > discouraged, others find other careers that suit them better, etc. If you
> > take a 20-year perspective, the Oracle DBA field has nearly always had more
> > demand than supply. Hey what am I saying . . . no way! If anyone on this
> > list is getting discouraged, this is the time to pursue that truck driving
> > career you've always dreamed of. Go! Hurry! ;-)
> >

> I will be while before things get cleared up. By then, I'll be a pensioner.
>
> --
> Lyndon Tiu
> Author: Lyndon Tiu
> INET: ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca

Maria Aurora VT de la Vega
Oracle DBA
Philippine Stock Exchange, Inc.

"Failure is only postponed success as long as courage 'coaches' ambition.
The habit of persistence is the habit of victory."

Author: Maria Aurora VT de la Vega
  INET: mtdelavega_at_pse.org.ph