RE: [new info] Redhat Advanced Server Dev Edition - RAC

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:19:11 -0800

And don't forget, RAC ( or a cluster ) will be of little benefit if the SAN fails. ( it happens )

Jared

"Post, Ethan" <Ethan.Post_at_ps.net>
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
 02/13/2003 09:14 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: [new info] Redhat Advanced Server Dev Edition - RAC

If you asked me last week I might not have formulated much of an opinion, but I have been tainted by Mogens presentation on RAC or Not To RAC.

Here are some questions you need to ask...

Why not go with a box capable of the CPU's you will eventually need. Why add machines when adding CPU's might be just fine. Will these apps really not run on 64 CPU's?

The added complexity of RAC and administration needs to be a factor in calculating your target uptime? My experience has been that most database downtime is a result of the following items.

  1. DBA/Unix admin errors.
  2. Application errors (run away batch jobs)
  3. User errors (truncate table)

RAC doesn't fix any of these things. However, a stand-by running a few hours behind could provide feasible solutions to most of these items.

Just recently I saw a HACMP cluster (not RAC) come down causing a 1 hour outage as a result of the instructions provided directly from an IBM support
rep to the Unix admin. The complexity of HA was the issue, so point #1 only
becomes more likely as you add the complexity of running RAC to your environment.

If you could chart all this stuff I got to feel that at some point the likelihood of one of issues above surpasses the likelihood of an actual hardware failure causing an outage.

I think another point made during the presentation is that some very unique
and hard to pinpoint errors can arise from running RAC. Don't be surprised
if the answer back from Oracle is very vague (i.e. perhaps parameter X is set to high when circumstance Y happens...

My 2 cents...