RE: Tuning instance for batch processing

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 07:44:08 -0800

Stefan - Batch jobs can vary quite a bit. There are report batch jobs that just do queries. There are update batch jobs that query and write. It is hard to have any rules of thumb that apply just to "batch jobs".

   Actually, batch jobs tend to be easier to tune because it is easier to run repeated tests, varying Oracle parameters.

   In gross terms, turn tracing on and run STATSPACK snapshots while you execute your batch job. Try to figure what the waits are and try to reduce them, tuning your instance or application. Trace will show you the worst SQL statements and try to improve them.

   Another thing to consider is the usage cycle of your site. Don Burleson advocates running STATSPACK at regular intervals then plot the results over the 24-hour or weekly cycle so you can spot the critical points. I found one of my servers' critical time was between midnight and 6 am. They can't start some critical reports until after midnight. If the reports can complete before 6 am when the interactive users fire up, everything is great. If the reports run late, all heck breaks loose. Don's book is Oracle9i High-Performance Tuning with STATSPACK.

   The best tuning methodology is the HOTSOS seminar. I had the privilege to attend one of Cary Milsap's seminars and it was awe-inspiring. Try to attend a seminar if you can, you won't regret it. I think Cary mentioned he will have a book out later this year. I can't wait!

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Stefan Jahnke
  INET: Stefan.Jahnke_at_bov.de

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Feb 13 2003 - 09:44:08 CST