RE: Commit boundary <-> Stripe Unit Size Co-relation

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 07:04:01 -0800

Vivek - I just wanted to make sure that your tests accurately reflect your production situation. The easiest tests to construct are the simplest ones. I've seen people draw wrong conclusions from those tests and even widely publish those conclusions. :-(

   Your original question just asked how commits related to disk writes. I just wanted to make sure you understood something about the method Oracle uses to decide when to write a block to disk. If you are just running a batch job that pounds inserts into Oracle, that is a really different situation from having many users and jobs that are doing many different things at the same time. My experience has been that those other activities very strongly affect Oracle's pattern of writing inserts and updates to disk. Mainly I have seen the insert or update job slow down a lot because it must wait for free disk blocks. Make sure you are measuring the wait statistics as you try these different tests.

   This also relates to the "tuning" of your disk subsystem by setting the stripe size. If you are just doing continual writes or updates, then it makes sense that a larger stripe size may be more efficient. And if that truly represents your production environment, go for it.

   There are also interactions between database block size, the operating system block size, and the disk subsystem stripe size. I have seen that discussed on this list, but I have no personal experience. ;-)

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: VIVEK_SHARMA
  INET: VIVEK_SHARMA_at_infosys.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Feb 13 2003 - 09:04:01 CST