Re: Oracle License for Training

From: Mogens Nørgaard <mln_at_MiracleAS.dk>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:18:48 -0800

The business models for Education partners are a little different:

Microsoft will let you pay some fixed amout per year - and they require you to be certified instructors - and then you can keep whatever you make from teaching those classes.

Oracle will let you pay pretty much the same fixed amount per year - and they probably require that two people are certified or something - but then you also have to pay for each seat you sell in the class room. In other words: You have to pay for the training materials for each student, and it typically costs you half of the total amount you can charge the students. That's what make most Education partners close down sooner or later. It's just not possible to make good money on this.

Oh, and depending on this or that, you have to buy the course ware 14 days before the class from Oracle and it's not possible to send it back if a student didn't show up, so the Education partners I've talked to all had shelves with stuff they couldn't return to Oracle and couldn't sell to students because it became outdated.

It's all stupid, because Oracle ends up sub-optimising their future with this policy. But Oracle Education optimizes their revenue in the short run.

Mogens

Author: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mogens_N=F8rgaard?=
  INET: mln_at_MiracleAS.dk