RE: Rman and database shutdowns UPDATE

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 10:53:59 -0800

Ron,

While Vms *can* backup the open datafile, it is worthless when you need to recover it. I know, I've been there. Worked on Open Vms for about 8 years, including Oracle for 3 years. The file would need recovery immediately upon an attempt to open it. And I would not bet my job that I could recover it properly.

If you wish, you could put the tablespace in "Hot Backup" mode and let Vms back it up - that would work fine. Just be aware of the issues.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: Ron Rogers
  INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org

Author: Ron Rogers
  INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org

Author: Mercadante, Thomas F
  INET: NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Feb 12 2003 - 12:53:59 CST