Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: Re[2]: Re[2]: RMAN: I don't trust it

From: Lyndon Tiu <ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 08:54:07 -0800

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 08:14 am, DENNIS WILLIAMS wrote:
> Lyndon
> A rule of thumb in job-seeking is when you don't have experience, your
> education counts all the more.

I agree. No Comp. Sci. education means - To quote Oracle 9i: "Unemployable, Can't break-in, Just can't get it".

> This applies when you are just starting your
> career or when you are changing careers. I haven't seen too many DBA job
> postings that require a BSCS (always glad to be educated, though), but I
> can see if there were two candidates who had no Oracle experience or other
> IT experience, the one with a BSCS might be selected.
> Have you considered getting the OCP?

I have OCP, SCJP, LPI, SCSA, SCNA, EIEIO. I do believe that these certifications are worthless without job experience.

Order of importance:

  1. People you know (i.e. kiss ass)
  2. Experience
  3. Education
  4. Certifications

> One heck of a lot less effort than
> a BSCS, and might carry more weight when being considered for a position. I
> don't think the OCP is a cure-all, but I think it can demonstrate a sincere
> interest in an Oracle career. Think of it as a way to separate yourself
> from other wannabes.

I work for a company where a third are wannabes, and they kiss ass better than me : \

> My impression is that during the dot-com wave a lot of people crowded
> into the IT field, and some of them jumped on Oracle. That might leave the
> field crowded at the moment, but any field has turnover. Some people become
> discouraged, others find other careers that suit them better, etc. If you
> take a 20-year perspective, the Oracle DBA field has nearly always had more
> demand than supply. Hey what am I saying . . . no way! If anyone on this
> list is getting discouraged, this is the time to pursue that truck driving
> career you've always dreamed of. Go! Hurry! ;-)

I will be while before things get cleared up. By then, I'll be a pensioner.

--
Lyndon Tiu
Author: Lyndon Tiu
  INET: ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca