RE: Re[2]: Re[2]: Re[2]: Re[2]: RMAN: I don't trust it

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 08:14:05 -0800

Lyndon

   A rule of thumb in job-seeking is when you don't have experience, your education counts all the more. This applies when you are just starting your career or when you are changing careers. I haven't seen too many DBA job postings that require a BSCS (always glad to be educated, though), but I can see if there were two candidates who had no Oracle experience or other IT experience, the one with a BSCS might be selected.

   Have you considered getting the OCP? One heck of a lot less effort than a BSCS, and might carry more weight when being considered for a position. I don't think the OCP is a cure-all, but I think it can demonstrate a sincere interest in an Oracle career. Think of it as a way to separate yourself from other wannabes.

   My impression is that during the dot-com wave a lot of people crowded into the IT field, and some of them jumped on Oracle. That might leave the field crowded at the moment, but any field has turnover. Some people become discouraged, others find other careers that suit them better, etc. If you take a 20-year perspective, the Oracle DBA field has nearly always had more demand than supply. Hey what am I saying . . . no way! If anyone on this list is getting discouraged, this is the time to pursue that truck driving career you've always dreamed of. Go! Hurry! ;-)

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com