RE: copyright

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 07:48:51 -0800

Tim

   Whatever you write is automatically copyrighted. In other words, someone can't just freely copy what someone else has written and claim it is their own (at least in the last dozen years). A good short resource is: http://www.ott.caltech.edu/security/copyright_tutorial_Basic.htm

   Now, as we all know there is a difference between rights and being able to defend those rights. If you have placed a copyright notice on your script, that enhances your claims and is a practical measure that makes other parties aware of your rights that they might otherwise unwittingly trespass.

   Next, can you prove prior existence of your script? If it was published in a magazine that would be very strong proof. You can file your script with the Copyright Office for a small fee. I think your request for downloaders to keep your name on the script is very wise. As far as posting it on a Web site, the Internet is notoriously stateless. It is difficult to establish original dates.

   The other problem with scripts, at least very simple ones, is the question of whether given the same requirements, is it possible someone by chance would write the same script?

   As to actions, it all begins with a simple notice to the other person. My impression is that the vast majority of these situations are cleared up by simply notifying the other party that they stepped on your toes. Large companies in particular are very conscientious about not getting caught in a violation. Of course, you may have the idea that they will keep publicizing the script with your name attached and their action may be to just remove the script. Or they may reply that another party claims to have originated the script.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com