Re: dump.sql

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:16:57 -0800

There has been a fair amount of discussion about it - on this list, on other lists, in SELECT magazine, etc. Jared has a perfect right to be annoyed that use has been taken but attribution was not given. I post a bunch of things on my website and that's all I ask, explicitly, at the top of the page.

To be honest, I suspect that what has happened is that the matter has come to the attention of the folks who manage MetaLink content. They likely queried the lawyers at Oracle about what to do, getting the response, "No way! Do not allow an individual's name to remain on anything in the MetaLink Knowledge Base for any reason". And, "By the way, do not even communicate with the individual as that might provide basis for some sort of claim or lien"...

...or some kind of surreal legalistic garbage like that...

Just my guesses, but that's probably what happens when the worlds of "share-ware" and "capitalized intellectual property" collide. In one world, it's about bad manners and grounds for serious disrespect. In the other world, it's about limiting liability, potential litigation, and "no blood, no foul; get up off the floor and keep playing"...

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_datab

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com