RE: AW: RMAN: I don't trust it

From: Lyndon Tiu <ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:47:50 -0800

Quoting Richard Ji <richard.ji_at_mobilespring.com>:

> Why should the default be scalable? Please tell me, how does
> Oracle know
> how many CPU, Memory, the type of IO system, transaction volume and
> whether
> it's OLTP or DSS, on and on... Every database application is
> different.
> Scalability means different things to different database
> environments.
> And editing init.ora is not how you achive scalability. Some of
> the tuning
> solution might come down to change a init parameter but most of
> them aren't.

I got this from the idea from "Why should default OS installs be secure?" Most Linux and even MS are making their OS more secure by default right after a fresh install.

Why can't Databases be like that (more scalable)? Can't it be more intelligent? Can't it figure out on it's own how many cpu and how much memory it runs on? Can't it figure out on it's own that a temp tablespace for sorting is being used all the time while there is a 1GB of free extra memory available for sorting and that it should increase sort memeory space dynamically?

Database tuning should be made more automatic - somewhat like Oracle's locally managed tablespace feature.

Perhaps this is the way databases should go - intelligent self-tuning. It will be hard to accomplish but is possible. Hopefully, we will get there (slowly) one day.

--
Lyndon Tiu

Author: Lyndon Tiu
  INET: ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca