Re: Oracle License for Training

From: Maria Aurora VT de la Vega <mtdelavega_at_pse.org.ph>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 23:33:50 -0800

Hello Mogens,

I really got interested with your reply. You seem to know a lot about how Oracle works with their licenses. Is this information just your opinion or you know it for a fact? I'd really appreciate if you could give your "legal" opinion, about what we plan to do.

For starters, we plan to offer on-site trainings. I would be using Oracle software on my laptop. And maybe have the trainees install Oracle software on each of their PC's. I may or may not provide them the software. In any case, we would need at least one Oracle installation available for demos and hands on
exercises.
Eventually, we will be offering training for individual clients. Once we get the money to set up a place and get machines. But when we do, I am sure we still cannot afford to buy full use licenses for Oracle
on those machines.
We plan to make everything legit, including business registration, taxes, contracts with clients etc.

Do you think we would have problems with Oracle with our use of downloaded software on a laptop for trainings? Why do you think that the licensing terms (for training) would not hold up in court?
Is this loophole based on an international law or agreement or something?

I really appreciate this information you are sharing.

Thank you very much.

=)

Mogens Nørgaard wrote:

> When Klaus Andersen (the guy who hired me into Oracle Denmark in 1990,
> and now is Managing Director of Microsoft Denmark) was head of Oracle
> Education world-wide he put into the standard license terms that you
> cannot use Oracle software for training of 3rd parties.
>
> Klaus is a very smart guy. I think he knew back then that those sort of
> conditions would never hold up in court - but it kept a lot of
> competitors out of the arena for many years because they were afraid of
> big, bad Oracle Legal.
>
> Combine that with the fact that Oracle Education's terms for partners
> are much worse than Microsoft's, and you get the idea: Oracle want to
> keep competition out.
>
> That doesn't hold up very well in courts around the globe.
>
> If you challenge this foolish provision (or rather: If Oracle really
> dares take you to court over it) I don't think you have to worry. In
> fact I think I know you don't have to worry :-).
>
> Yes, doing on-site training is a workaround. So is doing seminars with
> demo's on your laptop. But if you have valid licenses and want to teach
> various people in your garage, I don't think they can do anything about it.
>
> Do I sound like a guy who's spent some time on this topic? Yep. :-).
>
> You're most welcome to call me (consider the time - I'm on Central
> European Time) on +45 2527 7100 if you have any questions.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mogens
>
> Maria Aurora VT de la Vega wrote:
>
> >A couple of friends and I are thinking of putting up a small training
> >company here in the Phils.
> >(When we say small...its really small with almost 0
> >capitalization...just sheer guts and technical knowhow)
> >We have looked at OTN and checked the licensing terms for the use of the
> >software for training.
> >We have stumbled on this provision:
> > You may not:
> > ·use the programs to provide third party training;
> >I was wondering if any of you know if there is a different licensing for
> >training institutions?
> >How does a non-oracle partner acquire license to use Oracle DB software
> >for training?
> >I am looking at partnering with Oracle, but we are just starting and
> >partnering costs $$.
> >I dare not call Oracle Philippines just yet...If there is a need to
> >purchase, and if we have the money, only then will we contact them.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >=)

> Author: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mogens_N=F8rgaard?=
> INET: mln_at_miracleas.dk

Maria Aurora VT de la Vega
Oracle DBA
Philippine Stock Exchange, Inc.

"Failure is only postponed success as long as courage 'coaches' ambition.
The habit of persistence is the habit of victory."

Author: Maria Aurora VT de la Vega
  INET: mtdelavega_at_pse.org.ph