RE: Question about RMAN and recovery scenario.

From: Craig Munday <Craig.Munday_at_ecard.com.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:23:54 -0800

Hi,

We are using Oracle 8i and have successfully recovered the control file from the a backup piece. Like you, we have been testing this for disaster recovery purposes and it works well. There is one tip that I can suggest though.

In the Oracle manuals all the suggested scripts seem to following these steps:

backup database including control file
archive the current log file
backup all archive log files.

In a disaster scenario when you are relying on your last backup and may not have access to the most recent redo information or backup catalogue, the above backup steps would only allow you to recovery up to the point of the control file backup - the archive redo logs are essentially useless. The simple tip is to ensure that the control file backup is performed after the archive log backup - that is make it the LAST backup to be done. This way you will be storing ALL information about the latest archive logs and their most recent backups.

You know that the last backup piece contains the control file so you can use this to manually recover it. Once you have the control file is it a simple matter to use RMAN to recover the rest of the backup from the control file in the normal way.

There is a stored procedure in the Backup and Recovery/RMAN manuals for Oracle 8i. In Oracle 9i this is better supported. Let me know if you cannot find it and I'll send it along.

Cheers,
Craig.

Author: Alex Andriyashchenko
  INET: Oleksandr_A_at_yahoo.co.uk

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: Craig Munday
  INET: Craig.Munday_at_ecard.com.au
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Feb 10 2003 - 16:23:54 CST