RMAN: I don't trust it

From: Michael Fontana <mfontana_at_verio.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:03:58 -0800

As a longtime Oracle DBA who has used many products, including RMAN, I find myself
guilty of a paradoxical mistrust of RMAN, dating back from the time when Oracle has tried
several products, including integration with Legato and other hardware/software backup vendors,
without a consistent direction. In the little I've used RMAN, it seems quite complex and kludgy.
Even the nomenclature and commands used by Oracle within the product are a challenge to learn.

While I can get RMAN to work for most simple, basic and predictable recovery scenarios, true
recovery situations are never so neat and clean. This is not an advertisement for any particular
product, but we've had great success in my shop with a product called SQL*Backtrack from BMC.
I've also heard that Veritas makes a good product, but I've not used it.

 From what I've seen of RMAN, at least so far, I feel far more confident with the home-cooked scripts
I've been using for years.

Any comments, or other interesting experiences?

Perhaps we can do a list poll of favorite/preferred backup software?

Author: Michael Fontana
  INET: mfontana_at_verio.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Feb 10 2003 - 16:03:58 CST