RE: Backup Options Query

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:39:07 -0800

Ceri

   If you can change some of the tablespaces to read-only, you can back them up once, and keep the tape where you can find it if you ever need it. The key is you must back it up AFTER you change it to read-only. This is the simple answer. Basically if you back it up, then change it to read-only, the recovery gets a little more complicated.

   What we do on a DW is load it Sunday, then Monday night do a full backup.    RMAN can help if you do a one-time level 0 backup, SAVE THE TAPE, then do level 1 backups subsequently. RMAN would only back up changed blocks since the level 0 backup. You can also get more elaborate with multiple levels of backups.

   As with any backup scheme, test your recovery.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Ceri Townsend
  INET: dba_at_persistent-worlds.net

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Feb 10 2003 - 11:39:07 CST