RE: newbie question

From: Richard Ji <richard.ji_at_mobilespring.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 21:33:47 -0800

1)How to find out from sqlplus what is the current database ?

once, connected, do "select * from v$instance;"

2)and how to switch to another one ?

from DOS prompt: by chaning your ORACLE_SID environment variable or via Net8: either from SQL*Plus: connect system/manager_at_another_db or from DOS: sqlplus system/manager_at_another_db.

3)How to create users in my new database ? after creating users do I have to do something to allow them get connected from another machine ?

create user scott identified by tiger default tablespace users temporary tablespace temp;

grant connect to scott;

4)Do I need to create a tablespace for my new database, if so how to do it ?

OK, now I am gonna suggest you to read the Oracle's documentation: especially the "Administrator's Guide". It's availabe on otn.oracle.com.

5)How to create tables ?

See answer for #4.

Thank you your help is appreciated.

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now. http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Author: majid
  INET: majidnakit_at_yahoo.com

Author: Richard Ji
  INET: richard.ji_at_mobilespring.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Sat Feb 08 2003 - 23:33:47 CST