RE: multiple oracle homes

From: Scott Stefick <sstefick_at_harpercollege.edu>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 11:36:36 -0800

I tend to agree also, just because of confusion. We are running on one server, 817 (1 instance), 9201 (1 instance), 9iASRel 2 (1 instance) and on the second server we have 817 (2 instances), 9201 (1 instance), 9iAS Ver 102 (1 instance). So at first we tried different user names: oracle8i (817 instances)
oracle9i (9201 instances)
oraias (9iAS Ver 102)
ora9ias (9iAS Rel 2)

This just got too confusing, so I wrote a script and placed it in the "oracle" .profile which creates a menu for the Admin logging in to choose (by number) which instances environment variables they want set. Then it calls another script depending on the choice to set those variables and echo them to verify by using:

env | grep ORA
env | grep TNS

This has been working ok so far, but if anyone has any better suggestions, let me know.

-Scott

Scott Stefick
UNIX Systems Administrator
Oracle Certified Professional DBA