Using Soft Links for Datafiles

From: <Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 09:34:01 -0800

Resending. Any takers?

                    Rajesh
                    Rao/JPMCHASE@        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    CHASE                cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Using Soft Links for Datafiles
                    root_at_fatcity.
                    com

                    February 06,
                    2003 04:23 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ORACLE-L

We are in the process of creating a 9.2 RAC database. And we are being forced to follow a standard whereby, all files are to be in a directory structure, say /local. No standards have yet been defined, if one were using raw volumes. And since we will be using raw volumes for the datafiles, to enforce the standards, we are being asked to create symbolic links from /local datafiles to the raw volumes. To convince them otherwise, I have seemed to dug up two issues.

  1. For some reason, if the link breaks or is removed while the databases are up and running, its akin to taking a datafile offline, which would neccesitate a recovery.
  2. While doing a restore, RMAN would restore the files to the link directory and not to the actual raw volume.

Does this hold water? Anyone has other ideas or gotchas with using symbolic links for datafiles? Or Am I just being paranoid?

"I commonly use links for raw datafiles. Doing so aids the adoption of meaningful naming conventions" - Steve Adams

Thanks
Raj

  INET: Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com