RE: RAC on linux?

From: Orr, Steve <sorr_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 08:54:06 -0800

Back when I was in discussions about becoming a beta site for Oracle Financials I visisted Oracle HQ at 20 Davis Drive in Belmont, CA. When asked why we should believe that Oracle was really committed to this new "Financials" product we were told that Oracle Corp. was anticipating the time when relational database servers would be more of a commodity and they needed to diversify into the applications market to maintain revenues. Well since then: a lot of competition fell by the wayside; Oracle kept improving the database; and they gained/maintained market share. Despite the threat of commodity pricing Oracle managed to leverage its customer base and technology to maintain healthy margins on the database engine. Nevertheless, if Oracle anticipated commodity database server prices back then I would think we're finally getting closer to that eventuality with the advent of open source.

If the systems I administer cost less does that make me less valuable? I don't think so because the real value is in the data.

Still dreaming,
Steve

Author: Orr, Steve
  INET: sorr_at_rightnow.com