RE: re SHUTDOWN ABORT -- was RE: Debate on rc commands Solaris an

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 20:53:37 -0800

RE: re SHUTDOWN ABORT -- was RE: Debate on rc commands Solaris andLet me throw in my 2 cents worth on this topic. There are two problems with SHUTDOWN ABORT that I have experienced in the past.

  1. Before 9i (it appears to be fixed in 9i) if you inserted data in a table, then did a shutdown abort, if after restarting the database, you tried to truncate the table while the database was performing recovery on that table, the database would crash.
  2. Assume that you have applications that are dynamically doing things like adding and dropping tablespaces. WHat happens if the app is in the middle of such an operation and it's in the middle of writing new records to the control file. What is the result if you shutdown abort in the middle of this write, before it's complete. We experienced a situation like this earlier this week.

I've always been opposed to shutdown abort unless you are certain that you have checkpointed and that there are no user sessions operating on the database.

Cheers!

RF
Author: Robert Freeman
  INET: robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Feb 06 2003 - 22:53:37 CST