RE: DB character set

From: Richard Ji <richard.ji_at_mobilespring.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 10:14:15 -0800

Hrm, how about UTF8?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 4:20 PM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Dear List,

Life was pretty easy here before they came up with this euro symbol :-( We had WE8ISO8859P1 (the default I bevieve) as a char set on all Unix and MS (sorry we have those as well) DBs accross the board. That was also the client side char set (part of NLS_LANG) - most clients here are on MS (code page 1252), some browser based.

Well, with euro it looks like they went different directions:
- On MS: it's recommended to have WE8MSWIN1252 (super set of good old WE8ISO8859P1)
- On Unix: it's WE8ISO8859P15

My question is:

  1. if I want to stick with one char set accross the board (as we have now) for all DBs on Unix and MS AND
  2. avoid (automatic, but not free) conversion on DB-Client Net communication AND
  3. we need euro symbol

is there a painless solution out there?

Thanks,
Boris Dali

Author: Boris Dali
  INET: boris_dali_at_yahoo.ca

Author: Richard Ji
  INET: richard.ji_at_mobilespring.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Feb 06 2003 - 12:14:15 CST