RE: AIX 4.3.3 / 8.1.7 & Timed Statistics & Tuning Question

From: Post, Ethan <Ethan.Post_at_ps.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 08:04:48 -0800

No problems here AIX 4.3.3 ML9 Oracle 8.1.7 64 bit.

Lisa,

Be aware that there are some issues with ML9 as I am finding out with swap. We are planning on going to ML10 which should fix the problem as well as using vmtune command to change the system to use less OS Cache for files, I forgot the exact syntax. Happily the problem on these boxes is rare and no one complains so I am not rushing to make the changes but if you are running app servers on the same host you could see this a lot possibly. Search the AIX group on google for "vmtune oracle" and also check out the new Database Tuning book at IBM Redbooks, it was released in the past couple of weeks so it should be easy to find. It talks about all the vmtune settings. Also we are seeing issues with some of the psoft processes (Solaris app server) using up all the memory on the box when one of the jobs is run (not sure which one), appears to be a memory leak of some sort, we are working on it
(just a note, the peoplesoft environment is not the AIX environment I spoke
about).

Author: Post, Ethan
  INET: Ethan.Post_at_ps.net