Disaster Recovery

From: O'Neill, Sean <Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 07:09:35 -0800

We're in the process of updating our DR plan and adding some more detail <G>!. So I've been racking the auld grey matter and trying to identify a list of useful hardcopy documents which would be really useful for DR. The type of documents you store in a folder at home and bring along should the sh#t hit the fan. What I've come up with so far is:

[1] Over view diagram of server showing disk config details and locations
of various key database files. This doc also includes high level server spec and IP info.
[2] Relevant Technical Operating Procedures.
[3] Log forms for DB restore and backup.
[4] List of dirs per server included in tape backup schedule.
[5] List of backups per server including info on backup dirs and locations
of log files.
[6] List of scheduled jobs on each server, time, freq, command line to
submit.
[7] Copy of DR plan and Technical manual for primary production system on
CD.

The following get backed up disk-to-disk T,W,Th,F,S and are included on tape incremental:
Binary and text dumps of control file.
Script which creates dynamic script to run offline database backups. Disk to disk backup of database.
Archived redo logs.

I'm thinking some type of crib sheet with useful commands for that DR situation might be useful too.

So what else would you as a DBA like to have in this folder to support a smooth and efficient as possible DR?.

Oh yeah our SLA is that we recover DB as was at time of last working day (M-F) backup.

Seán O' Neill
Organon (Ireland) Ltd.
[subscribed: digest mode]

This message, including attached files, may contain confidential information and is intended only for the use by the individual and/or the entity to which it is addressed. Any unauthorized use, dissemination of, or copying of the information contained herein is not allowed and may lead to irreparable harm and damage for which you may be held liable. If you receive this message in error or if it is intended for someone else please notify the sender by returning this e-mail immediately and delete the message.
Author: O'Neill, Sean
  INET: Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie