AIX 4.3.3 / 8.1.7 & Timed Statistics & Tuning Question

From: Koivu, Lisa <Lisa.Koivu_at_efairfield.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 06:23:59 -0800

Good morning everyone -

Quick poll for those of you on 8.1.7 and AIX 4.3.3:

Do you have TIMED_STATISTICS = true? Have you encountered any problems with it?

The databases I inherited have this set false all over the place, hence my tuning efforts are really limited. However I don't want to change it without checking around first.

And a tuning question:

This environment (peoplesoft) is very very low on memory. When the app servers and databases are up there's less than 50MB of memory free. Adding hardware is not a choice here.

The databases have 100MB set for the SGA. It really looks like not much thought went into some of the parm settings.

What I've read about tuning says that you must have a goal in mind. Well, afaik nothing is "broken", nothing is suffering - then again, no one really paid much attention to Oracle. It was up, fine, move on. Am I on the wrong path if my goal for tuning is to figure out if I can reduce the size of the SGA and redo logs without adversely affecting performance?

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks everyone

Lisa Koivu
Oracle Dingbat Administrator
Fairfield Resorts, Inc.
5259 Coconut Creek Parkway
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA 33063
Office: 954-935-4117
Fax: 954-935-3639
Cell: 954-683-4459

Author: Koivu, Lisa
  INET: Lisa.Koivu_at_efairfield.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Feb 06 2003 - 08:23:59 CST